This week’s County Newsbits include a DCC Council meeting and seminar, a GAMP meeting, the HealthWatch County Durham newsletter, two important awareness events … and some ideas of things to do next weekend. Find more information on my blog at: bit.ly/CNB107
And don’t forget to join me on POLITICAL / Aycliffe Radio, 6-7:30pm, Sunday 7 April, when the ‘Big Story’ is cancer screening: bit.ly/ARLIVE
COUNCIL AND COMMUNITY NEWS
• DCC Council Meeting, Wednesday 27 March (Leader’s Report, AAP questions on suicide prevention and Area Budgets, and a public question on the climate emergency).
• Video – What are you most looking forward to in this #Durham19 ‘year of culture’.
• Seminar on ‘Humanising housing and creating Flourishing Communities’, Wednesday 27 March.
• GAMP Board Meeting, Tuesday 26 March (update from livin, police update, future funding).
• Speeding Enforcement Campaign launched by the Police.
• HealthWatch County Durham has published its April newsletter (surveys on: the NHS 10-Year Plan, the physical health of mental health patients, heart surgery, community stroke services, and MS; plus bowel cancer awareness; an update on BAGH; and notice of the AGM on 26 June).
• March 31 was International Transgender Visibility Day.
• April 1-7 in County Durham is not Autism Awareness week – it is Autism Acceptance Week.
• “And the winner of the Blue Plaque hustings is” … 19th century abolitionist, anti-segregationist, suffragist, chartist and anti-vivisectionist Elizabeth Pease Nichol.
• Modern Day Slavery in County Durham – update.
• Forrest Park is being promoted as an investment opportunity on an international level by the Department for International Trade.
THINGS TO DO
• Easter Bonnets, spring flowers, pollination & bees, Hardwick Park, 11am-3pm Wednesday 10 April, £3 per child: 03000 262 899
• Guided Walk, Redworth and Brusselton (8 miles, 5 hours), meet 10am Wednesday 10 April, Locomotion Museum Shildon, £4: 03000 264 589
• Guided Walk, Bishop Auckland to Witton le Wear (7 miles/ 4½ hours), meet 10am Saturday 13 April, Escomb Saxon Church, £4: 03000 264 589
• Young Rangers (14-18), Low Barns Nature Reserve, 10am-3pm Saturday 13 April, FREE.
• Egyptian frog amulets (5-11s), Durham Oriental Museum, drop in 1-3pm Saturday 13 April, FREE.
• Swashbuckling Swords (5-11s), Museum of Archaeology, Palace Green Library, drop in 1-3pm 13-14 April, FREE.