More than a million parents will receive reminders from this week to extend Child Benefit for their teenagers if they are continuing their education or training after their GCSEs.
HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) is sending more than 1.4 million Child Benefit reconfirmation letters to parents between 24th May and 17th July. The letters will include a QR code which, when scanned, directs them straight to to update their claim quickly and easily online.
Child Benefit is worth up to £1,331 a year for the first or only child, and up to £881 a year for each additional child. Payments will automatically stop on 31st August on or after the child has turned 16 unless parents renew their claim where their child is continuing in education.
If their 16-19 year-old intends to continue in approved education or training, parents can use the online service on or the HMRC app so they do not miss out.
Parents have until 31st August to take action or their payments will automatically stop. Letting HMRC know digitally that a child is continuing in education is the quickest way to get it sorted, with no need to contact us by phone or post.
If a customer has not received their letter by 17th July, there is no need to worry – if eligible, they can still extend their Child Benefit claim via or the HMRC app.
Child Benefit can continue to be paid for children who are studying full time in approved non-advanced education, which includes:
• A levels or Scottish Highers;
• International Baccalaureate
• home education – if it started before their
child turned 16, or after 16 if they have a
statement of special educational needs and
it was assessed by the local authority;
• T levels;
• NVQs, up to level 3.
Child Benefit will also continue for children studying on one of these unpaid approved training courses:
• in Wales: Foundation Apprenticeships,
Traineeships or the Jobs Growth Wales+
• in Northern Ireland: PEACEPLUS Youth
Programme 3.2, Training for Success or
Skills for Life and Work;
• in Scotland: Employability Fund programme
and No One Left Behind.
If a child changes their mind about further education or training, parents can simply inform HMRC online or in the HMRC app and payments will be adjusted accordingly.
Parents will need a Government Gateway user ID and password to use HMRC’s online services. If they do not have one already, they can register on and will just need their National Insurance number or postcode, and two forms of ID.