Another very quiet week for the Councils, but some amazing things to do next week. Find more information on my blog at: bit.ly/CNB119
I am speaking at the Footprints Conference on Thursday 13th, if you want to come along. And don’t forget to join me on line at bit.ly/ARLIVE for my politics discussion show POLITICAL, 6-7:30pm, Sunday 9 June (where the Big Story will be Community Spirit) … but please note that my community/council radio show JDCCDJ will NOT air on Friday 14 June.
COUNCIL AND COMMUNITY NEWS
• The final Stage of County Durham Plan is to go before the Cabinet.
• DCC is consulting on the Commissioning Strategy for People with Learning Disabilities.
• Business Durham is helping Aycliffe Business Park to fulfil its potential.
• Call for volunteers to make Durham shine as Lumière returns this November.
• The HealthWatch County Durham June newsletter (including dementia services, BAGH, vascular services, accessible information et al.) is published.
• New safeguard measures to protect housing tenants came into force from 1 June with the Tenant Fees Act 2019.
THINGS TO DO
• Durham Cathedral’s central tower is open to the public again.
• The Vikings in Northumbria exhibition, Durham Cathedral, 10am (12:30pm Sundays)-5pm 11 June to 28 September, £2.50-£7.50 (family ticket £17.50).
• Durham Energy Institute: Our Mining Legacy – Carbon Free Heating, a public lecture at Durham Miners’ Association, Redhills DH1 4BE, 6-7pm Wednesday 12 June, FREE.
• Susie Dent is at the Gala Theatre, 7.:30pm Wednesday 12 June, £21.
• Codebreakers: The Story of Enigma, a talk by Dr Mark Baldwin including a demonstration of an Enigma machines, Gala Theatre Durham, 7:30pm Friday 14 June, £15.
• Life in Bronze Age Britain exhibition, Museum Of Archaeology, Palace Green Library, 14 June to 24 November, FREE.
• Footprints Environment Conference, Durham Town Hall, 9:30-6pm 13-14 June.
• DCC’s Approach to Carbon Footprint, a talk by Cllr John D Clare, Footprints Conference, Durham Town Hall, noon Thursday 13 June, FREE.
• What Does the County Need to Do to Meet Its Carbon Ambitions, a consultation event with DCC’s Low Carbon Team, Footprints Conference, Durham Town Hall, 3pm Friday 14 June, FREE.
• Durham: The City’s Past Industries, a guided walk (3 miles) with David Butler, meet Market Place Durham, 6:30pm Tuesday 11 June, £4.
• Ancient Egyptian hieroglyphics (5-11s), Durham Oriental Museum, drop in 1-3pm Saturday 15 June, FREE.
• Durham for Refugees festival, St Chad’s College Durham, 1:30-10pm Saturday 15 June, £8.
• ‘Inspired By Wild’ Wildlife Exhibition (5-11s), Palace Green Museum, drop in 1-3pm 15-16 June, FREE.
• Dad’s Den-building, Hardwick Park, 10-11:30am and 1-2:30pm Sunday 16 June, £5: book on 03000 262 899.