Margaret and Sandy with the Mayor, their son Rob and his wife
Margaret and Ike (Sandy) Sanderson celebrated their 65th “Blue Sapphire” Wedding anniversary on Thursday 23rd June. and the Mayor of Newton Aycliffe, Jed Hillary, called on them to bring congratulations on behalf of the townspeople.
They were married on Saturday 23rd June 1951 at St Mary’s Church, High Harrington in Cumbria, followed by a Reception at the local Welfare Hall.
The couple moved to Newton Aycliffe 52 years ago in May 1964 with their three children Robert, Ian & Jacqueline. Within a year Margaret’s Father & Mother (Jack and Margaret) joined them along with Bob and Ann, Margaret’s Brother and Sister in-Law plus their two children Irene and John.
It was a mass family move from West to East and their first home was in Walker Lane quite close to the Iron Horse at a time when the Pub’s rear car park was actually a bowling green.
Their next home was in Dalton Way where they resided until all the children had flown the nest. They then moved into their current residence in Newburn Court.
Both Margaret and Sandy worked at GEC from 1964 until their retirement. Margaret worked part time while looking after the children. Sandy worked initially as an Auto Setter moving on to become Foreman & Paint Shop Superintendent.
They have 6 grand children and 9 great grandchildren plus one on the way. A party to celebrate their 65 years of marriage was held at The County, Aycliffe Village on Sunday 26th June.